Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 09:53:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      carlo@vis.ethz.ch (Carlo Dapor)
To:        runge@rostock.zgdv.de (Thomas Runge)
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Motif and wchar's

Dear Thomas

> I get link errors coming from TextF.c regarding:
> wcschr, wcscpy, wcscat, wcslen, wcsncat. I know, these functions
> are in glibc, why don't we have that?
>
> And how can we solve that problem right now?

The sources of jikes (IBM's Open Source java compiler) include a working
way to have libc5 systems enable wchar functions. All is done in config.cpp
when defining USE_LIBC5 or something. Do panic, the functions are written in
plain C, despite the fact that they are in a C++ source file.

This is not THE solution, but as a work-around, extract the functions, save them
in wchar.c and don't forget to include libc5-fix.h (or similar) and You should be
fine.

Have a look at http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jikes/project/

Ciao, derweil,
--