Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:23:04 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, doc@FreeBSD.org, murray@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FAQ and Indexterm finished

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 06:18:30PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> Big ol' patch at http://www.submonkey.net/patches/faq.full.diff

  I think a lot of these secondary indexterms are unnecessary.  For
example, IOMega Zip Drive, etc.  That's not really a high level topic
with lots of subtopics.  I would change some of those very specific
things to just primaries without a secondary indexterm.  If you look
in a normal book index, you will see mostly primary indexterms and
indexterms with secondary entries are usually in the minority.  In
this patch, they make up 100% of the indexterms, which is not ideal.
<secondary> and <tertiary> are available when the organization of the
content requires it -- you shouldn't feel obligated to give every
index term a two-tier designation.

  I think sendmail should be a primary, not a secondary under
software.  Somewhere under the "mail" or "email" entries there should
be a <seealso> to sendmail.  grep the Handbook for examples of usage.

  It is much more likely that someone is going to look under sendmail
for this information in the Index.  For some of these, you may want to
add a <see> or <seealso> element to the index easier to follow.

> I realise that it's not the most beautiful thing ever, but if I
> get this in, then I'll be more than happy to see people help out
> with tidying it up.

  It's great work, so feel free to commit it with or without my
suggestion above.

	   - Murray