Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 1995 08:53:10 -0500
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu, peter@bonkers.taronga.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com, longyear@netcom.com, rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject:   Re: chat(8) improvements for SL/IP dialout.

> > Looks nifty. One point:
> >
> > >       t.c_lflag  = 0;
> > > +     if(command) {
> > > + 	  /* If we're going to execute a command, don't hang-up */
> > > + 	  /* the device when we're done. */
> > > + 	t.c_cflag &= ~HUPCL;
> > > +     }
> > >       t.c_cc[VERASE] = t.c_cc[VKILL] = 0;
> >
> > Why not? Oh, for SLIP or PPP where the command just establishes a connection
> > that's useful, but for a situation where you're running some conventional
> > command (like, say, a dialback security mechanism) you want to retain HUPCL.
>
> Or you could do what everyone has done since time immemorial and open
> with a sleep the device so that the chat closer is not the final closer.
>
> Then the problem that the patch supposedly fixes will never occur.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@cs.weber.edu

 Yes, I thought about that, and considered it ugly...

 Let me add some motivation to this (because, I could have simply used
the -r and -z flags on slattach.)

 My internet provider charges by the minute, thus, I'd like to connect
to the modem and *not* redial.  (Hmmm... perhaps a flag on slattach
that says "this is how to dial the first time, but don't bother redialing
if Carrier Detect goes down".)

 So, I had planned on doing:

	 chat -c "slattach ..." ...

 to start the connection, (setting the modem to disconnect after a minute
of no activity).  Have sendmail do its thing, then when the modem disconnects,
use the slattach option to run the "shutdown-the-link" script.  Thus,
since the shutdown-the-link script would have to go find the sleep and
kill it, I didn't like that idea.

	- Dave Rivers -