Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:20:24 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Ron Steele <rjs@clark.net>
Cc:        question freebsd <freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: ping times using ppp

> When trying to do interactive work over a ppp link, I find the latency
> time very annoying.  Ping generally reports round trip times of about
> a quarter second.  I use hardware handshaking and v.34 modem on
> 16550 compatable serial card.  Currenty 2.0R, soon to be upgrading.
>
> Does this time seem about right?  Any ideas on how to improve these times?

     As Mike said, this isn't unusual.  With my PPI V.FC (not V.34)
modems, I see ping times around 160-180ms.  To do error correction and
data compression, modems "packetize" data; basically, when sending data,
the modem tries to gather a packet of data (256 bytes, I think) before
sending.  However, this doesn't work well with interactive use, and so
there's a timeout; when the timeout occurs, the partial packet is sent.
This timeout is the cause of the long latencies (and note that two
timeouts probably occur with ping -- one for each direction).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.