Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:26:04 +0900
From:      "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modular type GENERIC?

G'day,

I was just wondering why we're not shipping a GENERIC type
configuration that simply loads the modules at startup, rather than a
statically linked kernel. I thought that was a large part of the push
for the modular framework in years past.

As a quick experiment, I trimmed all the modular devices out of
RELENG_7 GENERIC into a "BASE" configuration file and filled
/boot/loader.conf with modules relevant to my system. Everything
booted just fine.

How feasible do people think it would be to ship a "GENERIC"
configuration which simply includes all the devices in a default
module list, and users can select/deselect modules they wish to load?

Here's the kernel and loader configuration files I'm using just on my
system. I think acpi_load is a bit extraneous as acpi is included in
the amd64 DEFAULTS.

http://people.freebsd.org/~adrian/BASE.txt
http://people.freebsd.org/~adrian/loader.conf

--