Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2018 19:28:55 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann@gmail.com>, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>,  George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Subject:   Re: Confusing smartd messages

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 7:06 PM, Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> [ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]

> HDDs and
> sectors get

> > > doesn't
> read
> > > error
> returning

> and
> > > the
> > >
> > > ZFS, if it gets a re error, will rewrite the unreadable sector
> > > to a DIFFERENT block, not over the top of the bad spot.
> > >

> > Are you sure?  For read errors, I think ZFS rewrites the data in-place,
> so
> > it doesn't have to rewrite it on all other members of the same
> mirror/raid
> > group.  For persistent write errors of course, it would have to move it
> > a different LBA as you describe.
>
> Your right, I am not sure exactly what happens during a scrub that finds
> a checksum error, or encounters a low level device I/O error.  I was
> wrongly
> assuming that given the COW nature of the whole system that it would
> never overwrite anything.
>
> I wonder if you can send ZFS into a loop with a hard write failing sector.

Not if you have zfsd enabled.  zfsd will fault the device after too many
errors.  And even without zfsd, I think zfs must give up on that sector
after awhile, but I'm not positive.  If a single bad sector could cause an
endless resilver loop, I think I would've seen it by now.