Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:18:41 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail DNS strangeness

2009/1/29 Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>:

> Too much sanitation makes it hard to figure out your problem.  However,
> if that amnesiac.xxxx is actually amnesiac.com this probably relates to
> the fact that DNS for amnesiac.com is horribly broken.
>
> dig +trace amnesiac.com
>
> should start you down the appropriate path.
>
> --Jon Radel
> jon@radel.com

Heh, yeah, sorry about the starring. Perhaps I was a bit tinfoil hat...

Jan 29 16:03:19 amnesiac sm-mta[38492]: n0RM2Hlj021695: to=<[external email]>,
ctladdr=<[user]@amnesiac.bayofrum.net> (80/80), delay=1+18:01:02,
xdelay=00:00:14, mailer=esmtp, pri=8221553,
relay=mail2.ukrhosting.com. [91.196.0.5], dsn=4.3.0, stat=Deferred:
451 DNS temporary failure (#4.3.0)

This should help narrow it down a bit.

Glen, you're absolutely right about amnesiac being the default name, I
forgot about configuration for a while, then decided I liked amnesiac
anyway. So... it is set up properly with

[chris@amnesiac]~% grep hostname /etc/rc.conf
hostname="amnesiac.bayofrum.net"
[chris@amnesiac]~%

and hosts are right too.

The problem is, that sendmail isn't having trouble finding me, it's
having trouble finding the other host. It seems as though sendmail is
ignoring my resolv.conf (set to nameserver 127.0.0.1) and using some
other source for DNS that is broken.

Any ideas from these hints?

--
R< $&h ! > $- ! $+      $@ $2 < @ $1 .UUCP. > (sendmail.cf)