Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:42:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

> Sorry for the cross-posting, but I think we need to involve people in
> all three groups, since -current and -hackers will both be involved
> when -stable goes away.
>
> I buy most of Jordan's arguments about getting rid of -stable (though
> I'm not sure why CVS should be the problem.  Sure, I don't like it
> either, but the way I see it, that's mainly a problem of
> documentation), and so I'm not going to argue against killing -stable,
> even though some good arguments have been put forward for its
> retention.

Uh, yuck.

If STABLE goes away, and I cannot get a known-to-build-and-run version at a
given point in time, FreeBSD goes away here.

Why?  Because I *cannot possibly* track -current given the state of broken
code we sometimes end up with (I have tried!) and that means keeping *at
least* two machines and doing continual regression tests on the -current
tree.

I don't have a full-time engineer at present to devote to this, nor can
I afford the single mistake that destroys our environment.  I can put
someone on this with a 4-10 hour per week commitment, but that's about it.

Somehow, the -STABLE intent must remain.  I don't care *how* it is
accomplished, but it has to be accomplished.  An example of the problems is
the difficulty in running nntplink on -STABLE; sometime a couple of months
ago something in the select() call broke, has not been fixed, and nntplink
won't run any longer (and yes, we have been asking infrequently and did
could *really* use the recent VM fixes can't have them, because if I load
that kernel on our main news system it stops talking to anyone.

Not good.

> 1. -current and -stable diverge too much.  This means that -stable
>    really isn't, it's -dusty, and the occasions on which -current
>    updates get folded into -stable are fiascos like we've experienced
>    in the last week.  That wasn't the intention.

Yes.  But throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't the answer either.

> 2. -current goes through periods of greater and less stability.  It's
>    not practical for somebody who wants to run a stable system to
>    track -current.  On the other hand, the more stable periods of
>    -current work very well.

Correct as well.

> What we need are shorter branches: say, we start a -stable branch at a
> point on the -current branch where things are relatively stable.  Then
> we update it with bug fixes only for a relatively short period (say 4
> to 8 weeks).  *Then we ditch it and start again at a new point on the
> -current tree*.  These branches could be called things like
> 2.2.1-stable, 2.2.2-stable, etc.  Like this, we could have our
> relative stability while keeping the -stable branches more up to date.

This will work if it is *clearly* documented when and if these things
happen, and what you can (and cannot) keep at a given time (ie: if I must
reload all the shared libraries then that effectively requires that I dump
the machine and reload; this is a MAJOR problem if you're trying to track
incremental improvements).

> is included by the Makefile, and depend only on that.  Does anybody
> have any dependencies that couldn't be solved by this kind of method?

> So now you'll come and say, "OK, do it".  I'm not just bitching: I am
> prepared to revise the whole build procedure.  I think it would not
> take much longer than I've spent trying to build the current version.
> What do you people think?
>
> Greg

I think it would be a *great* idea.  A full build on a lightly-loaded P166
now requires nearly three hours, and that's too long for a SUP which only
changes two files!

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | 21 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!