Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:13:13 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        Jason T <luser@ahab.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.0-R to RELENG_4 upgrade

This is (probably -- since you didn't give the exact error message
I can't be sure) because your kernel and your world are out of sync. This
isn't Linux; the kernel and the userland are not independent of one
another. If you want to build a new kernel, you must also do a make
[build|install]world.

You can look at the handbook for more information; I believe it's chapter
18 (the title is "Staying up-to-date with FreeBSD" or something similar).

Eric