Date:      Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:47:40 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't see onboard NIC

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:57:28AM -0700, Jeff D. Hamann wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I've been trying to get FreeBSD-6BETA up and running (after having some=
=20
> troubles trying to get 5.4 running) on a new AMD64 system. The system is =
an=20
> ASUS vintage-ae1 with an onboard NIC (I'm not what kind other info I can=
=20
> provide since the web link for the mb specs is down on the asus website).=
..

<snipped: nic not visible in dmesg or ifconfig>

> and that's it. So my questions are:
>=20
> 1) how do I get the nic up? kernel recompile? how and with what settings?=
=20
> It seems there are a gazillion ethernet interfaces already in the=20
> /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC file. Do I need to add the entry for in t=
he=20
> /boot/device.hints file? Is there a way to do this without a kernel=20
> recompile using some settings in the /boot/defaults/loader.conf file?

If the kernel did not load a module, it could be that it's just not
recognized. Does running 'pciconf -lv' give any more into on the type of
nic you have? Without information about the type of nic nobody can tell
you if it will work.

> 2) how do I get the usb mounted (or even better automounted)?

You mean an USB storage device? See my FreeBSD page:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/#hotplug

In short:
- plug in your device
- see if a 'da' device pops up, typically da0s1 or da0s4 if you have no
  other 'da' devices active.
- mount the device 'mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usbdrive'

The problem is, that if you have more than one usb storage device, the
allocation of the device node depends when they are plugged in. The
first will be da0, the second da1 etc.

To make your life easier, write a label to the usb device with glabel,
so next time you plug it in, a device node will appear in /dev/label/,
with the (unique) name you have given it. That would make it possible to
include the devise in /etc/fstab and the automounter setup.

> 3) I'm guessing that I need to make changes to the kernel in=20
> /usr/src/sys/amd64 and not /usr/src/sys/i386, Yes?

Yes.

What I do is the following; I've got a directory ~/setup/kernel where my
kernel configuration resides under revision control (I'm using
subversion, but you could also use rcs or cvs or numbered copies,
whatever takes your fancy). I started by copying
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC to ~/setup/kernel/MYKERNEL. I've
registered this in the revision control system. Then I started editing
the MYKERNEL. When I want to try a changed configuration, I first check
it in to the revision control system. Then I copy MYKERNEL to
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/. I've added KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL to
/etc/make.conf. Then I rebuild and install the kernel as per the
handbook.

Ny using revision control I can always check exactly what I've changed
in the kernel configuration between kernel builds. So if I break
something, I know how to unbreak it.

After installation but before building a new kernel, I recursively copy
/boot/kernel to /boot/kernel.generic, so I can always fall back on a
known working kernel.

> Also, I've tried to simply insert a usb stick into the front port and whe=
n=20
> I removed the device, the machine rebooted.

That is definitely a bug. Which USB driver are you using? The ehci
driver (usb 2.0) had a reputation of being somewhat buggy. Try uhci or
ohci instead.
=20
> Is there any more information I can provide to help solve this?

Set your machine up to save crashdumps (see the developers handbook).

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt