Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:36:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        krentel@dreamscape.com, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linuxulator, getdents and Citrix

In article <local.mail.freebsd-emulation/200008192004.QAA03384@dreamscape.com> you write:
>> I think it's significant. You and Mark might be discussing different
>> bugs. Keep me posted; I'll get to it eventually.
>
>Yes, they seem to be different.  For me, the bug only happens with
>non-UFS partitions (ext2 or cdrom), which is not what Scott has.
>Everything works fine on UFS.
>
>I'll ask the general audience:
>
>(1) Does anyone else see this problem?  Compile the readdir program
>from my previous mail in Linux, and run it in the Linuxulator on ext2
>or cdrom partitions.
>
>(2) For me, linux_getdents(2) returns the right answer, but readdir(3)
>does not.  That suggests the problem is in the Linux readdir(3)
>library, but I've looked at the source, and there doesn't appear to be
>anything wrong.  Furthermore, I'm using RH 6.1 and linux_base_6.1 and
>they both have /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.1.2.so and cmp reports the
>files are identical.  So, I'm kinda stumped on where to look next.
>Any suggestions?

There's definitely a bug in the linux emulator somewhere.  I have booted
a FreeBSD kernel on top of a RedSplat system, (e.g.: everything on the
system is Linux except the kernel) and the the Linux `ls' is doing really
weird things.

What I see is something like only the first couple of directory entries
are being returned.  Searching for other entries may or may not succeed.
Doing a `ls -l' seems to work a little better, but not always.  Sometimes
you can access a directory entry that doesn't show up in ls.  I have other
bugs I'm working on, but I'll get to this one eventually if nobody else
does.
--
Jonathan