Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Syaputra D <ddurin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Proxy Server

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 20-Jul-98, Syaputra D wrote:
> I am recently a Windows users. I had made a proxy server base on Windows
> 95(I use Wingate). But I found that it has poor performace (to slow,
> poor caching methode and unstable).
> I want to know if there is any proxy server software that can run under
> FreeBSD ?. If there is one, please inform me. I like to change my OS to
> FreeBSD to gain a better performace.
> Thanks....

Yes.  It's called Squid, and is available if you install the Ports
collection, in the directory /usr/ports/www/squid*.  Look in
/usr/ports/www, there are several versions there.  I use the 1.12 beta
(squid12) and it works quite well...and is FAST too!
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com> - Ask me for my PGP key   | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.