Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 19:19:11 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, kip@lyris.com, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 02:16:55PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > this is less and less of a problem because
> > if you lose your link on PPP
> > you are liable to get a differetn IP address on your redial.
>
> Not true.  Only if you're using a dynamic IP address setup.  Most
> business connections have a static connection, so they'll end up with
> the same IP address everytime.

I would take issue with that. All of the regional registries require
extremely good justification for allocating static IP addresses to
transient network connections.

This might be something that older, established providers are able to
do (since they were delegated way too many addresses in the good ol' days)
but it isn't an option for (m)any ISPs younger than three or four years.

When it comes down to it, there is very little justification for a static
address. The one I most commonly hear is "so we can do SMTP mail delivery
to the customer", but even that doesn't mandate use of static addressing --
we support SMTP mail delivery (we call it "mailbagging" for some reason)
to dynamically-addressed dial-up clients, and it works just fine.

Other times the reason is "so the customer can carry on downloading
after the line dropped" to which the answer is "maintain your access
servers properly and this won't happen".

Anyway, this is off-topic. Back to your scheduled programming.

Joe