Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:24:38 +0100
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        Alain Thivillon <Alain.Thivillon@hsc.fr>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not sandbox BIND?

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 05:08:35PM +0100, Alain Thivillon wrote:
> > if you run ppp[d] or anything.  Bind depends on being able to bind to port
> > 53 if the interface configuration changes.  This is why it's not on by
> > default.
>
> You should also please note that the sandbox should be in same FS as
> /var/run/log if you want logging via syslog continue working.

You don't need this. /var/run/log can be a symbolic link to
/chroot/var/run/log, then you start sysglod with option -p
/chroot/var/run/log.

The only gotcha is that you need to cleanup /chroot/var/run/ at
startup or syslogd won't start. That's what I use on ns.eu.org but
it took me some time for figure it out...

Even better, you can use syslogd's -l option to create as many
/chroot/dev/log as you need for chrooted environements, as explained
by Craig Rowland in his paper. Then you don't need any symbolic
or hard link stuff.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr