Date:      Thu, 03 Jul 2014 04:28:34 +0200
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Proposal: Install a /etc/ssl/cert.pem by default?

On 07/03/14 03:47, Eitan Adler:
> IMHO, it is sane to follow the same policy that Mozilla follows and to
> use their root store by default.

It's policy define very generic requirements only. Almost anyone can apply.

But I'm not going to discuss Mozila's policy here beyond my opinion that
it's definition of "trusted" is near to meaningless.

>> If I consider a CA to be trustworthy, I will insert it's certificate to
>> trusted store. No one is welcomed to make such decision in behalf of me.
>
> So remove or edit the defaults.

Be sure I'm doing it already with browsers stores. But I wish
system/program shall be safe by default because not all users are
experts that can recognize dangerous defaults.

Are you ready to recommend a CA as trustworthy and take responsibility
for such advice ?

OK, I expressed my personal opinion in full and I'm not wishing to start
a flame war here ;-)

Cheers

Dan