Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:34:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        robmel@innotts.co.uk (Robin Melville)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ben@narcissus.ml.org, nate@trout.mt.sri.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RMS's view on dynamic linking

> >I can predict that a social construct like FreeBSD operate in a certain
> >fashion based on its organizing principles, based on observation of
> >other social constructs with similar organizing principles.  In the
> >same way I can predict a rock will fall... [etc.]
>
> This is a man who has never heard of chaos theory... FreeBSD obviously
> works solely upon the basis of strange attractors :)

Chaos theory allows us to predict spontaneous organization.  That's
the purpose of chaos theory.  Strange attractors are identified using
statistical methods, in many instances.

Because something is based on chaos does not make it unpredictable;
you nearly go so far as to admit that yourself.

Consider, now, any set of strange attractors as, itself, a chaotic
system.  Now identify the second order strange attractors motivating
the first order strange attractors chaotic relationship.

This is what I have identified, in the past, as "an order of fractal
complexity" in a social system.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org