Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 16:47:02 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Justin Stanford <jus@security.za.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gigabyte 1U GS-SR101 Server and Onboard Intel NIC trouble.. anyone?

[Apologies for cross-post]

Hi,

I'm working with one of these 1U GS-SR101 Gigabyte rackmount servers, with
twin onboard Intel Pro NIC's, running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE. It has a
pentium III 1GHz CPU, and 512mb RAM.

When booting GENERIC, it get fxp0, and fxp1, as expected. However, upon
assigning correct IP's, and other network parameters, and extensive
testing between both cisco routers and other miscellaneous servers, I can
*only* get pings or other traffic flowing on fxp0, and not fxp1, not
matter what I seem to do. fxp1 appears to be up in all respects, but it
just doesn't seem to be working, whereas fxp0 works fine.

However, I can ping fxp1 via fxp0, so the interface is up on the system,
but I can't get anything via fxp1.

Has anyone else experienced this trouble? I hesitate to think that it is a
faulty NIC, but that's all I can think of right now.. is there a known
problem with FreeBSD and this hardware? GNATS and a search of the mailling
lists doesn't seem to reveal anything.

Thanks in anticipation,
Justin

(Kindly CC me any answers as I am not subscribed, thank you.)

--
Justin Stanford
Internet/Network Security & Solutions Consultant