Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:34:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf external buffer reference counters

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Bosko Milekic wrote:

>  First of all, I'm not "blowing off" anyone's comments.  I don't
>  appreciate the fact that you're eagerly instructing me to "not blow off
>  comments" (which I didn't do to begin with) without providing any more
>  constructive feedback.
>
>  All I pointed out was that the optimal block size is merely changed
>  from an exact 2k, 4k, 8k, etc. to something slightly smaller.  What
>  point are *you* trying to put across?  Tell me what's bad about that
>  or, better:
>
>  Do you have a better suggestion to make?  What do *you* suggest we do
>  with the external ref. counts?  Please, spare me the flame bait.  I
>  wasn't being confrontational when I answered Luigi's post and I don't
>  need anyone turning this into something confrontational.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Bosko Milekic
> bmilekic@unixdaemons.com
> bmilekic@FreeBSD.org

  Whoa man, that must have across completely wrong.  I didn't mean to
imply any confrontational at all.  Actually, if anything I was just
trying to restate what should be obvious (and which I think was the point
Luigi already made): that for better or worse userland apps think that
using power-of-2 write buffers will improve performance.
  You're right, I don't understand all of the issues well enough to
suggest an alternative.  And if it weren't for the fact the just about
every engineer on the planet has had the "power-of-2 good" rule drilled
into them, I would have kept my mouth shut as I usually do.  When I saw
you suggesting that the optimum size would just be a little lower without
mentioning POLA, an alarm went off in my head.

  In any event, I'll go crawl back into my corner now.

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey -- kbyanc@{posi.net,FreeBSD.org}