Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2014 22:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        dbn@freebsd.org
Subject:   wine (-devel) and i386-wine

I read something about two days on www.freshports.org about wine and i386-wine that alters my plans.

I tried to build i386-wine from i386 with the idea of using it both from i386 and amd64, in the latter case mounting the i386 partition on /compat/i386.

But what I see makes that look not feasible.

If I want to run wine from both i386 and amd64 (not at the same time), do I need to make separate installations on separate partitions?  In that case, how do I avoid wasteful duplication in compiling?

I am getting ready to rebuild/update FreeBSD-current and possibly 10.0-STABLE from source, am planning to also make a new i386 installation on a hard drive in a USB 2.0 and eSATA enclosure, using eSATA.

I want to do this soon, at least for FreeBSD-current because, after running svn up on FreeBSD src tree from NetBSD, I saw an update in $SRCDIR/sys/dev/re/if_re.c and want to see if that works on my Ethernet.

I also want the new NFS improvements.

Tom