Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:21:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@mail.id.net>
To:        steve@cioe.com (Steve Ames)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nntpcache

> Warning! Be careful about setting up nntpcache testing. I set up a
> couple of servers to run nntpcache to see if it would recurve the news
> traffic in a way that I could present to the all powerful accounting
> department to get money... a little ways into my test I got an email
> from the nntpcache people saying:
>
> It has come to our attention that you are running an unlicensed nntpcache
> server. If we get your check within 7 days we will not pursue this matter.
>
> OUCH! So not only do I not complete my tests (actually nntpcache seems
> to lock up frequently on my server, requiring a shutdown/restart to make
> it function again), but now I'm going to be 'pursued' for running it?
>
> Sheesh! Even M$ lets people test run a good portion of its products.
>
> Just a note! Be Wary. Also, the licensing requirements should probably
> be made more plain in the /usr/ports directory. *shrug* (and the
> licensing requirements are harsh)

I'd be willing to bet that with the proper attorney, you could also have
a counter-suit against them for 'Knowingly & Willingly wasting your
corporate resources costing you bandwidth & money without your permission
and against your will'...

I think it's very wrong for software to assume that if you have an Internet
connection that it's okay to waste my resources sending the authors an
e-mail message... What is this world coming to?

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net