Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:52:53 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <akruijff@dds.nl>
To:        bsd@perimeter.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -Fa

Sorry, Your mail was cougth in my junk box.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:43:47AM +0200, bsd@perimeter.co.za wrote:
> Alex de Kruijff writes:
>
> >On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 01:29:40PM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> >>The strange part is that on some of the servers the script works just
> >>fine, and on others it runs, and emails me what looks like a job well
> >>done, but the distfile has NOT been fetched.  When I then go to do the
> >>actual upgrade, the distfile must first be fetched by portupgrade before
> >>it proceeds to build.
> >
> >There could be any number of problems that may be the cause of this. I
> >realy can't see that from here.  What you need to do is to do a check on
> >every machine that doesn't work. I find it best to go from where the
> >process begins and go all the way down to portupgrade. Try to find where
> >it goes wrong. It could be that the crontab is wrong or that portupgrade
> >isn't installed.
> >

> Alex,
>
> thanks for your response.
>
> I've tried what you say before I sent the email.  What confuses me is that
> the script runs fine if I log in and run it at the CLI.  And it definitely
> runs from cron, because I get the email I am expecting, which is the output
> that would normally go to the terminal.

You will have to add lines that print output to see where it goes wrong.

> So, the crontab is evidently active, and portupgrade is correctly installed
> and configured.

The problem lies in beneith.

> But the actual fetch of the file simply does not happen if it is run from
> cron...  Yet, on other servers it all works fine...
>
> ?!?!?!?
>
> Still confused.
> Patrick.

Its posible that you didn't write all calls to there full path. On the
shell you can type portrupgrade to start it. But from cron you have to
write /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade.

--
Alex

My homepage (dutch) - http://www.kruijff.org/alex/