Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:53:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott <scott@SchematiX.net>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@fcc.net>, Andrew Bromage <bromage@queens.unimelb.edu.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers as a backup medium

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> > tapes may be 4GB, but most of them are extremely slow compared to a CD-R.
> > Even some of the fastest tape drives aren't as fast as a 4x CD-R (last
> > time i checked). Tape drives are also a lot more expensive and the tapes
> > are EXTREMELY expensive. CD-R disk can be found for $1 or less if you have
> > a rebate. Tapes for my TR1 drive (old; never in use anymore) are $30
> > each...and i have 5 tapes for them. So it really comes down to how much
> > money you have.
> >

> Sounds like you should have bought a DAT tape then.

should have but at the times i had a budget of $200

> A DDS-2 drive (without compression) has a 326 kByte/s transfer rate; this
> will be somewhat larger if you've got compression enabled in the drive.  So
> you'll have 4 GB uncompressed on a 90 meter tape and perhaps twice that
> with compression enabled.
>
> If this is large enough to hold your dump, then in some sense you don't
> really care what the transfer rate is if you don't have to swap media.

i was only using my backups to store junk i downloaded. (Back in my
windows days)

> I bought a reconditioned DDS-2 changer (that holds 4 or 12 tapes depending
> on the magazine) for a bit less than $400.  Media is about $7-$12 depending
> on what you find.

Thats some serious data storage. Brand new that thing would be extremely
expensive.

> DDS-3 increases the capacity (and thus transfer rate) again.  I think the
> media cost might be a wash between CD and DAT for bulk storage.  The CD
> media is less clostly, but has a factor of about 3 or 4 less capacity.  The
> DAT media is resuable - sure, you can get rewritable CD media, but now the
> cost is considerably higher.

CDs are so cheap nowdays that there is no sense for a rewritable when it
would be just as quick/easy to rewrite the whole thing.

> Clearly the Travan drives lose on a cost measure - the drives are cheap, but
> you go broke buying the media.

you can say that again :)

> louie

     -scott