Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:14:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF transition for ports

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, John Birrell wrote:

# The point here is that source outside the project that builds as ELF
# uses the same tools that we do. This means that Linux/ELF and NetBSD/ELF
# only have a single version number too. We don't need to invent a new wheel
# here. Just get used to it!

Ah yes, but looking at the X config files here's what I
see for Linux/ELF

  @SONAME=`echo $@ | sed 's/\.[^\.]*$$//'`; set -x; \
    (cd down; $(CC) -o up/$@~ $(SHLIBLDFLAGS) -Wl,-soname,$$SONAME \
      solist $(REQUIREDLIBS) BaseShLibReqs); \
    $(RM) $$SONAME; $(LN) $@ $$SONAME; \
    LinkBuildSonameLibrary($$SONAME)

So it appears that they have taken a similar approach to
the one we have adopted for our system libraries; lop off
the minor number when building the library, installing it
as libfoo.so.maj.min, and then creating the symlink from
there.  That's two symlinks and one lib.  Right or wrong
it is different.  I don't know how NetBSD is doing it
since they are using the same bsdLib.rules file that we
are and without some patching it ain't up to the task. :)

Steve

# --
# John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
# CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137