Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:39:23 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

At 2:59 PM -0400 7/30/98, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> If your "BSD advocates" couldn't meet those tests, that's their
> problem and not mine.  The Open Source site will stop looking like
> a Linux site when, and *only* when, FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD have
> substantial and persuasive real-world successes comparable to those
> of Linux to display.
>
> In the meantime, I am not going to let you or anyone else bully me
> into giving BSD special treatment that it has not earned -- any more
> than I would let Linus Torvalds bully me if the situation were reversed.

Most of my job (what I get paid for) deals with providing support for
things on Solaris, AIX, and MacOS.  Lately there's also a little WinNT
being thrown into the mix.  I have a minor interest in FreeBSD, but
that's not where I get my salary from.  I've only been following the
FreeBSD mailing lists for a month or two now.

That said, your efforts with the opensource site is losing crediability
with me.  The web pages at www.opensource.org do not frustrate me as
much as they seem to bother Jordan.  I do notice, for instance, that
the "white papers" section includes something on Yahoo and FreeBSD,
so I don't see you has overtly hostile to FreeBSD.  I admit I do find
it odd that the site makes so little mention of Walnut Creek as a
place *running* FreeBSD to get it's business done.  Your info on it
just says that it "sells CD-ROMs featuring Linux and FreeBSD", but
for all your web pages say, the *business* might be run off IBM
Mainframes running MVS.  There was just a press release at Yahoo on
how WC's ftp site just transferred more information in a single day
then any other site has ever transferred -- breaking a record set by
Microsoft during the release of Win95.  Microsoft set their record
with 40 machines, WC is running a single FreeBSD machine.  I think
that is an example that business people can relate to, even if they
don't ever expect to make a million dollars selling Open Source
software.

In any case, that wasn't the main point I wanted to make.  Every
message I've seen from you in this thread makes me think "This is
a guy who has his fixed vision for his web site".  This is fine, but
it is quite different than "This is a guy who is interested in the
success of open source software".  I don't know Jordan all that much
more than I know you, but at least he leaves me with the impression
that he's *trying* to help out *all* interesting open-source efforts.
You sound like a guy who has one particular set of open-source products
that "you like", and are determined to promote them over any and all
products, including other open-source products.  Now, that's perfectly
fine if you are claiming to be a spokesman for those products, but it
really is a bit odd if you imagine yourself as a spokesman for "open
source" as a concept.

It is even more odd that Jordan, who is definitely a spokesman for
FreeBSD, comes across as more "generically open source"-ish than you,
when you claim to be for open source as a whole.  So, I don't mind
what you're doing with your site, I don't intend to threaten you
with anything (I don't even know what I'd threaten you with), but
every message you type makes you seem less crediable to me.

That's just my opinion, of course.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute