Date:      Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:06:16 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Cecil <xeys_00@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suitability of freebsd 5.3 for 486 dx2 66?

Cecil wrote:
> I plan on running a 486 I found laying around as a
> freebsd box. It only has a floppy, and yes, it's a
> 486. It does have 500 meg hard disk and 20 megs of ram
> though. Any ideas as to what is realistic to expect
> out of this machine? I plan to run it as a CLI box
> only to learn perl, python, C++ and some other stuff
> on.

You don't have enough disk space to fit Perl, Python, and a full FreeBSD
distribution.  The CPU is going to be slow but workable, but 20MB of RAM is
going to be very marginal, too.  I'm not sure the installer will be able to
run, although if you can get the disk built out, FreeBSD will run.

--
-Chuck