Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:15:28 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bandwith shaping only for big tcp packets

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:53:01AM +0200, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> I would like to do something like:
>
> ipfw add 2000 pipe 1 tcp from 192.168.128.4/32 to any len gt 100
> ipfw pipe 1 config bw 4KBytes/s queue 4KBytes
>
> This would mean that only packets which are bigger than 100 bytes
> will be fed to pipe 1.
>
> Any ideas?

well you'd need to write the necessary extensions in the
ipfw matching code to implement the "gt NN" part.
I can partly see the point of what you are asking
(e.g. differentiating interactive ssh sessions from scp and
other bulk transfers-over-ssh stuff) but:
1) i wonder if, for the time being, you cannot achieve the same by e.g.
   looking at the PSH flag in TCP packets;
2) it is probably about time that someone implements the ability to
   run BPF code segments for packet matching in ipfw rules!

	cheers
	luigi