Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:13:32 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Dan Flemming" <danflemming@mac.com>, "Lars Eighner" <eighner@io.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: matcd - how to make it work

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Flemming" <danflemming@mac.com>
To: "Lars Eighner" <eighner@io.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 10:20 AM

> Lars Eighner wrote:
> >
> > I have not been able to get matcd to work since 2.x.
>
> I have a CR-562 running under the matcd driver quite happily... in
> 3.4-RELEASE. No amount of voodoo could persuade it to work under
4.0-RELEASE.

> Which is why I downgraded.
>
> > I have a Reveal kit CD drive connected through a sound card.
> >
> > Why can't I mount this drive?
>
> What was the last version of FBSD to mount, and the first version to
refuse?

> Everyone I've talked to says matcd works in 3.x, and requires mystical
> voodoo in 4.x, if it works at all.

I have a boatload of cr-563b twin-spin matsushita cdroms.  I can get them to
work under 2.x or 3.x if I use a "cd-rom interface card" that just has the
proprietary interface on it.  If I attempt to get the old SB16 w/proprietary
controller going no version of freebsd can find the goofy things.  (this is
sad because I only have 2 of the stand alone interface cards)  I have found
an interesting workaround.  If I boot a machine into DOS 6.22 and let the
cdrom drivers load, then I can give it a soft reboot via the three finger
salute and reboot into FreeBSD and presto! FreeBSD finds the cdrom.  I take
this to mean that the driver for the cd-rom is not correctly initializing
something on the sound card to make the cd-rom interface work.

I might be talked into taking a look at rewriting the driver so it will
initialize a sound card properly, but you would have to hit me over the head
with a stick hard enough to make me forget that new 50x cdroms that work
very nicely with FreeBSD are about $40.00.  (and even then, if I did forget,
I might forget something else useful, like how to breathe, or type, or
communicate via talking ;)

Josh
"Legacy Man"