Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:20:04 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question: 2.1.7?

Karl Denninger wrote:

If the 'sploit is so well known, then could you giv eus MORE info?
I really hate not knowing what the problem is:
I would go as far as saying:

probably a 2.1.6.2 should be made.
the cdroms that are shipped after right now should have  a sticker
stuck on them saying:
"before rnning this on a system connected to the internet,
check www.freebsd.org for a program to run to fix a known security hole"
and leave it at that...
a new cdrom can come out with the fix in time
and we should ACTIVELY push a script that
"Patches" the problem files and does whatever is needed.

I'm talking from a point of view of what we'd probably do in places
where I've worked..
I think that a notice should be put in the FTP site
about the problem  but that we shouldn't PULL it yet..
what we SHOULD do is RAELLY MAKE IT KNOWN
that there is
1/ a problem
2/ a fix

please both of you.. go back to your corners.
you are BOTH acting in a manner I think you should seriously
look at.

think about what you can do to IMPROVE this, TAKING THE OTHER
INTO ACCOUNT.  If it doesn't help, then don't do/say it.

about to launch thousands of 2.2 boxes..  does this affect 2.2?
and how?
We don't allow any logins on the boxes.. direct or indirect
is there still a risk?

julian