Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 23:13:49 +0900 (JST)
From:      bsq@sw.cas.uec.ac.jp
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp hangs

<199810171117.MAA09378@woof.lan.awfulhak.org>の記事において
brian@Awfulhak.orgさんは書きました。

> > > Does ``echo x >/dev/cuaa0'' also hang ?   Sounds like a problem with
> > > the port itself.
> > >

> > Yes.  This also hangs.  Here is part of the dmesg's display.
> > It might have something useful.
> > ------
> > Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
> > sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
> > sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
> > sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
> > sio0: type 16550Asio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
> > sio1: type 16550Alpt0 at 0x3bc-0x3c3 irq 7 on isa
>
> The only strange thing here is that there's no linefeed after the
> ``16550A'' bit... but it's not strange enough to mean anything much
> AFAIK.
>
> [.....]

Sorry, I made some mistakes in converting the message to DOS style.
Here is part of the verbose output of probe.
-----
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: irq maps: 0x1 0x1 0x1 0x1
sio0: probe failed test(s): 0 1 4 6 7 9
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: irq maps: 0x1 0x9 0x1 0x1
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2: disabled, not probed.
sio3: disabled, not probed.
-----
The UART is NS16550AN (I just checked on Windows 98).  Hope this to
be useful too.  (The comments of sio.c says that "Serial drivers ...
Works for ... NS8250-NS16550AF UARTs.")

Sorry again for my mistakes, and thank you very much.

Bao