Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:31:31 -0500
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Murray" <mgd@brutus.converging.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: how to recovery an old kernel?

}-----Original Message-----
}From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Murray
}Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 8:55 PM
}To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}Subject: how to recovery an old kernel?
}
}Hi,
}
}I just built a new 4.2 workstation and used a kernel from another
}system. The other system had a pentium ii, but the  new system has a
}pentium iii. Therefore, in the old kernel the cpu was set as 586, not
}686. Therefore, the new system does not boot, it hangs as it tries to
}determine the cpu.
}

ouch. p2 and p3 should both be set as 686, and if you use gcc
optimization flags, set it to -march=pentiumpro for both processor
types. This goes for Celerons as well. The only ones that don't get it
are pre-Pentium 2's.

}I initially copied the old  system's kernel to the new
}system and then
}recompiled. I am guessing here but it seems that the only  thing I
}need to do is change the cpu setting in my
}kernel and then recompile.
}
}If I could only rn kernel to kernel.bad and then rename kernel.old to
}kernel and then reboot and recompile correctly, everything
}would be ok.
}
}How do you boot a bad kernel so that you could do the above? I tried
}going into edit mode at the point where you can boot in 9 seconds...
}or press any other key. However, I cannot accomplish anything here.
}--
}Murray Davis
}Converging Technology Solutions
}Edmonton, AB
}

if you still have a kernel.GENERIC, you should be able to boot from
that. When it boots up and prompts you to hit any key other than
return to get the menu, do it. Then type:

unload
load kernel.GENERIC
boot

If you don't have a kernel.GENERIC, I can send you one. I'm running
4.2-STABLE on this machine and 4.2-RELEASE on another.
-Otter