Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:34:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

BK> able to allow you to change how the password is stored, because Apple
BK> uses a hash of the password on the AirPort and in the Mac client, but
BK> everyone else in the world uses the raw password itself).

I discovered this too.  Most annoying, as I can't do encryption
between my airport and my laptop, nor can I set a password to restrict
others from accessing it.  Luckily I live in the middle of nowhere and
nobody else could use it unless they were sitting on my property ;-)

BK> when I switch to using the AirPort as a wireless bridge to my
BK> Ethernet/ISDN router, I won't have these kinds of problems any more.

I use it as a bridge to my wired ISDN router, and let the Airport do
the DHCP for all clients as well.  Works like a charm and has never
needed to be rebooted since March when I got it.