Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:29:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        thierry@herbelot.com
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH_3.4p1 sshd does not set XAUTHORITY

In article <200208191943.31694.thierry@herbelot.com>,
Thierry Herbelot  <thierry@herbelot.com> wrote:

> after searching in some mailing lists, I've found that adding :
>
> setenv XAUTHORITY ~/.Xauthority
>
> to the .login file on the machine I'm logging in has solved this problem

Thanks, that does solve the problem.  I'm not sure whether it's
correct, though.  In the past, I did set XAUTHORITY like that in my
.bash_profile, but then at some point when OpenSSH was upgraded I had
to remove it because it broke X11 forwarding.  Now I have to add it
back again?  I suspect there's something more basic wrong with the
current version of OpenSSH or with PAM.

Anyway, I've added a couple of lines which set it only if it wasn't
set before, and that seems to work OK until a better fix comes
along.

    : ${XAUTHORITY:=$HOME/.Xauthority}
    export XAUTHORITY

John