Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:57:41 -0500
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        "Andrew" <acs@fl.net.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User PPP and Internal PCI Modem

> I think there is a web page somewhere with list of non win modem
> internals...cant remember the URL but do a search.
>
> http://www.kcdata.com/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Using the url you provided, I purchased a new modem.
I got an internal PCI U.S. Robotics 3CP5610. This is listed as
being Linux compatible and, I believe, a 'real' modem.

> > The external modems are quite expensive.
I could have gone with an external modem, but the PCI modem
was 3x of my original purchase and the external was 4x the cost.
But in the end, I may have to get an external modem..see below.

So, after installing the new modem, I get the same results as before:

> > sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > sio2 not found at 0x3e8
> > sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > sio3 not found at 0x2e8
>
> By the fact that the modem hasnt shown up I would guess its a winmodem but
> I dont know. Does the modem work under windows?

So, I am 99.9999% positive that this is a real modem, yet it does
not show up.

So, now what?

Seems I have 2 options.
1) play with IRQ settings
2) get fbsd to probe for other IRQs (from above, irq 9 not in bitmap of
probed irqs)

Can you suggest which I should do (with instructions)?

Thanks

Jim