Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:53:32 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "P.A.Osborne" <P.A.Osborne@ukc.ac.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad R31 - Lucent windmodem woes....

--==_Exmh_1647574368P

> The last time I tried ltmdm (quite some time ago) it seemed to take the
> first non-allocated sio, which would be sio2 in your case.  It's at least
> a good starting point.

Last time I tried it (about 4-5 weeks ago when I was in Seattle), it
attached to cual0. It's always attached there for me (but I've only used
the port since March this year).

> If you do get it working you're not likely to be impressed by the through-
> put or the load imposed on your system.  I certainly wasn't.

If I understand correctly, the Lucent is not DSP-less, and the binary
driver acts as a shim to make it appear to be a "real" UART to the
system.

In any case, I've never noticed any difference in CPU loading when
running ltmdm on a PIII-600 and actually having a dial-up link up. It
certainly places less load on the system than the "toys" (wmitime,
wmapm, wmmon, wmnd, wmmatrix, wmusic) I habitually run in my windowmaker
dock. And they don't interfere with the smooth playing from xmms, so
that doesn't bother me..

I  /did/ notice piss-poor throughput the last time I used it (24000),
but that was due to being in the wilds of up-state WA (where at least
you can get good coffee) and on a lousy ISP.

The connection speed was identical when I tried my trusty Psion and
3Com/Megahertz 56K PC cards (never travel without spares!). And I /know/
how they work, because I used them for two years before I swapped out
the 3Com Winmodem junk...

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_1647574368P