Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 11:20:14 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Mike Heffner <aheffner@lakefield.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugging

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 11:03:11PM -0500, Mike Heffner wrote:

> I would like to trace the source of a panic during boot time.
> How do I compile the boot loader code in DEBUG mode? I tried defining DEBUG
> with make, but it didn't work.

The `panic' event is only meaningful for kernel, not for boot loader code,
which is optional at all.  If your kernel panics early during the boot
phase, you can hardcode the dump device in your kernel config.
For example:

config kernel root on wd0 dumps on wd0

See LINT and dumpon(8) for details.

> What's the _right_ way to compile specific code with debug mode set.
> If there's a url for this, please let me know.

See gcc(1).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the