Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 22:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Couple of natd/ipfw questions

Greetings.. yet again!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out here, I now have a working IP
gatewaying setup.  Now what I'm trying to do is to get natd to pass
packets destined for certain ports back and forth, but I'm running into
difficulty.  I think part of the problem is that I don't know all of the
ports that are used by the particular application.  Either that, or I'm
not using natd correctly. :)  The two applications in question are
TetriNet, and Raptor EagleMobile.

TetriNet is probably the easier one, so I'll start with that.  Is anyone
here familiar with the port(s) TetriNet uses?  From what I could tell, it
seems to use port 31457.  So, on my FreeBSD machine, I executed natd with
the following command line:

/usr/sbin/natd -dynamic -interface vx0 -redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.3:31457 31457

>From what I understand from reading the man pages, that command line tells
natd to redirect anything it sees coming to port 31457 from the outside to
port 31457 of the machine whose IP is 10.0.0.3.  10.0.0.3 is the IP of my
Windows NT machine, on which I run (or am trying to run) a TetriNet
server.  Question 1 -- does that command line look correct?  Question 2
-- does redirect_port only direct connections coming from outside, or does
it direct connections from inside as well?  In other words, when my
TetriNet server sends out a packet, it goes to 10.0.0.1 (which is the
second ethernet interface on my FreeBSD box) and then to the primary
ethernet adapter... does natd turn around and redirect that packet *back*
to my NT machine?  I should hope not, but I don't know for sure.

The other application is Raptor EagleMobile, which I was using at home to
tunnel into the network at work through the firewall and be able to get my
Lotus Notes email, access Notes databases and other resources on the
internal net, etc.  Anyone know what port(s) EagleMobile uses?  Also, is
there a way to get natd to redirect_port on more than one port at a time?
I found if I specify two redirect_port options, I get an error message
from natd (address already in use, I think), and it won't run.  So that
begs the question, how do you get natd to redirect more than one port?

Thank in advance, once again, for all the help!  You guys and gals have
proven to be an invaluable resource.