Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:23:19 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nicolas Rachinsky <list@rachinsky.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: FreeBSD 4.3 to 4.5 upgrade problem using sysinstall script

Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:

> > Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and also tell me how to
> > script this?
>
> put the cd in a directory named "4.3-RELEASE", sysinstall is looking
> for such a directory on the ftp-server

Bad plan.  Using the wrong sysinstall will get the hard
coded header stuff, which will not include everything,
and will include some things which are no longer there.

Also, ssh will stop working because of /dev/random having
a different device node, and /etc/pam.conf not including
the ssh lines, and sshd being too damn stupid to fall back
to the non-attributed setup lines, if its own named ones
are missing.

You have to use the sysinstall that matches the CDROM.

Unfortunately, the sysinstall that matches the CDROM does
not exist on the CDROM, except in the MFS image in the
boot floppy image (it would be nice if it and the MAKEDEV
and MAKEDEV.local scripts had been included in their own
subdirectory on the CDROM).

The MAKEDEV stuff can go away, now that devfs is standard,
but the next CDROM should contain the boot image sysinstall
on it somewhere.

-- Terry