Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 14:17:29 +0200
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@sgi.com>
To:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: resume-to-disk / incorrect default chosen by boot menu

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01BE9702.020C6C90

Thanks, Mike.  I should have known that Outlook is braindead.  I will=20
break my lines manually.  I know we should all be using FreeBSD all=20
day long, but unfortunately some employers are not wise enough to allow=20
us to. I have at least set aside a (rather large) part of my laptop's=20
disk and installed FreeBSD.
=20
> > The good news is that suspend-to-disk works just fine with my =
Latitude
> > and 3.1R. There is something to improve, however:
>=20
> It doesn't seem to be working, actually.
>
> > When the system powers up after a suspend-to-disk, the FreeBSD boot
> > menu prompts for the partition to load.  Since this is a poweron =
after
> > suspend-to-disk, it should set the default to the suspend partition =
so
> > that, if no key is pressed, it just resumes the saved image. That =
does
> > not currently happen, however.  The default chosen by the boot menu =
is
> > simply the last partition that was loaded previously.
>=20
> This is not how suspend-to-disk works.  When you power up after a=20
> suspend-to-disk, you should resume where you suspended.

What happens is this: If I close the notebook it SUSPENDS.  It powers
down, keeping the state in memory.  When I open it again, it powers up
and everything is still as it was before: the same processes are =
executing,
the windows and sessions are still open.  Only a syslog message tells=20
that the system was sleeping.  (Well, maybe the screen goes blank,
because the Xserver thought there was no activity for so long.  It =
lights
up as soon as you hit any key.)

I would call this behaviour suspend-in-memory, or maybe sleeping.

If I keep the notebook closed long enough (more than 8 hours, but=20
configurable in BIOS), or if I hit fn-A during normal operation,=20
it writes all memory to a special partition on the hard disk. =20
That means I see a screen saying "saving to disk" (don't remember
the exact wording) for about one minute, and then it powers down.
When I power up again I get the familiar FreeBSD boot menu, prompting
which partition to load.  Now, *IF* I select the partition which=20
has been set aside for the suspend-to-disk feature, I will get a=20
screen "resuming from disk" (or similar wording) for about one minute,=20
and then the system is up, with the same state (procs, windows etc.)
that it had before suspending.

This is what I am calling suspend-to-disk.

> > I would like to change the code to not save the default partition
> > explicitly, but instead use the active partition as the default. The
> > reason behind this change is that the BIOS (hopefully) sets the =
active
> > partition to the suspend partition when suspending to disk.
>=20
> The boot0 bootmanager has this behaviour (the 'default' and 'active'=20
> flags are the same thing).

So what is boot0?  Is it an alternative to the thing that the FreeBSD
install program writes to the MBR?  Is there a formal way (short of
dd to the raw device) to install it?

The code actually residing in the MBR does not have this behaviour.
Sorry, I would have to write down by hand what DOS DEBUG.EXE tells
me in order to be more specific.  Maybe I do that tonight, if time
permits.

> > Could somebody please point me to the place where the source for the
> > FreeBSD boot menu lives so I can change it?
>=20
> a) You do not want to change this, you want boot0.
> b) Your suspend-to-disk is broken, so the point it rather moot.

If it's broken, I'd like to fix it if I can.  On the other hand,
the behaviour described above contains enough good functionality
(for me) that I would call it "working just fine".

Regards,
Georg.

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01BE9702.020C6C90
	filename="Georg-W. Koltermann.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Koltermann;Georg-W.
FN:Georg-W. Koltermann
ORG:Silicon Graphics;PSO
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+49-171-3040144
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+49-89-46108395
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+49-171-3040144
ADR;POSTAL;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Silicon Graphics =
GmbH=3D0D=3D0AAm Hochacker 3;M=3DFCnchen;;85630;Germany
LABEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Silicon Graphics =
GmbH=3D0D=3D0AAm Hochacker 3=3D0D=3D0AM=3DFCnchen 85630=3D0D=3D0AGermany
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:gwk@sgi.com
REV:19990503T154700Z
END:VCARD

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01BE9702.020C6C90--