Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:18:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <runfreebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triple booted, no mouse with in 5.4 :(

--0-867292636-1119683912=:23093

Note: forwarded message attached.

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
--0-867292636-1119683912=:23093

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:01:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bill Schoolcraft <runfreebsd@yahoo.com>
To: Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>

--- Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net> wrote:

> What I'm writing is very basic, but I just got an answer
> to a question where I'd forgotten a very basic thing, so
> don't get insulted. I may be way off base, being a relative
> newbie, but if so, it'll at least probably get a quicker
> response from somewhere else. :)

First off Denny, thanks for answering my email for help.  Here goes..

> 1) Are you still running GENERIC kernel?

YES

> 2) Do you have /dev/psm0?

YES

> 3) Do you have, in /etc/rc.conf
>
>     moused_enable="YES"?

Yes, manually entered it.

> 4) Do you have, in your kernel config file,
>
>     # atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
>       device		psm		# PS/2 mouse

YES

> 5) Do you show something like this in dmesg?
>
>     psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
>     psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3

Yes, actually here is what it says:

psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model IntelliMouse Explorer, device ID 4

> 6) I know when you don't have /etc/X11/xorg.conf, X will
>     still probe & try to come up with a working solution,
>     but as to where it stores it's settings, unless in the
>     afore mentioned file, I don't know.

I'd love to see the file it generates for X looks "great" when I leave
it alone and startkde with no files.

> 7) And if, after running without an xorg.conf file, it does
>     have one it generated, does it have anything like this?

I can't seem to find the one it's using, here are the results of a
seach I did.  I had one file in my home directory from another machine
but that file is not named valid for use, here is the seach results.

liam# find / -name "xorg.c*"

/usr/X11R6/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/xorg.cf
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/getconfig/xorg.cfg
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf.eg
/usr/home/wiliweld/xorg.conf.new

> # Identifier and driver
>
>      Identifier	"Mouse1"
>      Driver	"mouse"
>      Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
>      Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
>
> 8) There have been other posts about xorg.conf problems
>     recently. As I said, if you don't configure it yourself,
>     it'll try to probe & come up with something. I guess it's
>     having trouble with your mouse, though, which, btw, you
>     didn't mention what kind of mouse. Did you check the hardware
>     compat list?  Hope some of this helped.

The mouse I'm using works fine in another 32bit 5.4 machine and here is
the seach path results:

[root@bsd ~]-> find / -name "xorg.c*" -print
/usr/X11R6/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/xorg.cf
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/getconfig/xorg.cfg
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf.eg
/root/xorg.conf.new

And inside the last file there is the mouse settings of:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"