Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 15:12:20 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld: building strip fails.

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 09:55:21AM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> Same here.  I did the same using a CVSup from Saturday May 27 @ 04:15
> PDT on four machines.  Everything went smooth.  My only complaint is
> that FreeBSD is getting too big.  On my P120 at home 3.4 used to
> buildworld in 4.5 hours now with 4.0 it took 7.75 hours, while my
> desktop system and Kerberos servers (333 MHz PII's) at work a 3.4
> buildworld took 1.5 hours while building 4.0 world now took 2.25 hours.
>  But I guess that's the price of progress.

This is random guess that I can't check up on at the moment because I
don't have a 4.0 system at work, but I kernel compiles don't use -pipe
by default on 4.0. This of course may be due to them not being needed,
so take this with a pinch of salt.

Of course, on the other hand it might speed up your compiles a lot if
my hunch is right. But it is just a hunch.

	Steve