Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:28:59 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0R-alpha ISOs - not bootable?

On Monday 06 February 2006 21:07, Russell Howe wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:50:16AM +0000, Russell Howe wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:48:03PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > Simple question I know, but have the MD5 sums been verified to
> > > make sure the file wasn't downloaded as ASCII or something weird?
> >
> > I checked the MD5sum of the ISO image that I used to create the
> > CDs, and it checked out. I haven't (yet) dd'd the filesystem off
> > the CD and md5'd that to check that the CD was created correctly.
> > I'll take it into the office tomorrow and check.
>
> OK, so it's not quite Jan 21st, but I've got my DVD/CD-RW into a
> Linux box, and checked the discs. One of them came up with I/O errors
> so I chucked it.
>
> I burnt a fresh disc of the 6.0R bootonly .iso image, and
> 'md5sum /dev/cdrom' checks out OK against CHECKSUM.MD5 on
> ftp.freebsd.org. The alpha currently has NetBSD on it, so I did an
> md5 from there of the same disc and that came out OK too, but it
> still failed to boot in the same way as before.
>
> > If all looks well, then I'll try and find out where things broke
> > between 4.10R and 6.0R
>
> I burnt the 5.4 bootonly .iso image, checking the MD5sums on both the
> Linux box and the NetBSD install on the alpha, and that gets past the
> bootloader just fine, although it has the problem I always had with
> FBSD 5.x of the box rebooting just as the SCSI controller (isp0) is
> initialised.
>
> Is there anything in between 5.4 and 6.0R which I could test?

I suppose its possible that the part of the build process that makes the
image 'SRM bootable' was broken. This is done by setcdboot from
ports/sysutils/setcdboot and consists of finding the place on the CD
that contains the bootloader and marking the first sector of the CD
image so that SRM can find it. It writes to the last four uint64 fields
of the first 512 byte sector as follows:

	uint64_t *lp = ... point to sector buffer ...;
	lp[60] = ... bootloader length in 512 byte blocks ...;
	lp[61] = ... bootloader start in 512 byte blocks from start of CD ...;
	lp[62] = 0;
	lp[63] = ... simple checksum of entire 512 byte sector ...;

If the last word is not correct, SRM will refuse to boot the disc.