Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:03:31 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Keymap definitions for VT / NEWCONS

On 21 August 2014 14:39, Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you must worry about names, "NEWCONS" could use improvement.

It's called vt(4).  Newcons is a nickname used during development, but
is not official.  You won't see it in the man page or documentation.

> The more important problem is, does this "NEWCONS" thingy provide
> a way to correct errors?  For example, I am using a proper Unix
> keyboard, but for some reason both the firmware and FreeBSD think
> it is a horrid pee-cee style keyboard.  ~/.xmodmap can fix this up,
> but only for X.  Does this "NEWCONS" thingy provide xmodmap type
> functionality?

This functionality has existed for two decades in FreeBSD - this is
provided by the keymap files discussed in this thread.  See kbdmap(5)
if you need information to create your own keymap (if an existing one
is not available for your keyboard configuration).

>> And de_CH and fr_CH differ just in whether "=C3=A4=C3=B6=C3=BC" or "=C3=
=A9=C3=A0=C3=A8" ...

> Another problem is that whatever characters those are do not
> display properly in an xterm window.  And pasting them into
> emacs doesn't work either.

They work fine here in an xterm and in a vt(4) console, assuming the
locale is set appropriately (e.g., en_CA.UTF-8 in my case).