Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:22:33 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help mounting ext2/3, ntfs [was: <no subject>]

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 04:31:45PM +0000, Voicu Liviu wrote:
<snip>
> > That said, assuming that you are using IDE HDDs, you device names will
> > probably correspond between Linux -> FreeBSD something like:
> >
> > FreeBSD    -> Linux
> > /dev/ad0s1 -> /dev/hda1
> > /dev/ad0s2 -> /dev/hda1
> > /dev/ad0s3 -> /dev/hda1
> > /dev/ad0s4 -> /dev/hda1
> I just don't understand why does FreeBSD work like that
> "/dev/ad0s_number_here".
<snip>
> Voicu Liviu
> Hebrew University of Jerusalem
> Rothberg International School
> Network Support and Assistant Programmer

It's really no different from the Linux system of naming in most
respects.  The names/numbers are arbitrary.  Does the Linux systems of
/dev/hda_number_here make sense to you?  If so, then
/dev/ad0s_number_here should not be any stretch.  The main difference
being that FreeBSD generally likes to further segment a slice
(partition in DOS) into separate filesystems i.e. /, /usr, /home, etc.  I've
heard it said that the way in which FreeBSD segments a given slice
(partition in DOS) is not unlike that of how DOS handles an extended
partition, although I don't know for myself how accurate this is.  At
any rate, it seems to me that this systems offers a good degree of
flexibility, as FreeBSD will nicely fit into a single primary partition.

Nathan