Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      chrish@UltimateDNS.NET
To:        "Aled Morris" <aledm@qix.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Subject:   Re: despairing with apache httpd + php

> On 31 March 2014 17:14, Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> wrote:
>
>> This is how I have done it. Just get the source, compile and install.
>> But I do not think that it is important to do it like this. You also
>> can do a make install and get it all done in a single step.
>

> Compiling php-5.5.10 from source with:
>
> $ sh configure --with-mysql --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
> $ make
>
> results in a build that can't be installed:
>
> $ sudo make install
> ...blah...blah...
> Warning!  dlname not found in /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp5.la.
> Assuming installing a .so rather than a libtool archive.
> chmod 755 /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp5.so
> chmod: /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp5.so: No such file or directory
> apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536
>
> very frustrating!
Indeed. :)
I'm not sure why you're choosing the direction for build install, that you are.
But if it were me; I'd

# cd /usr/ports/lang/php55
# make config
 choose the options you wish -- as Apache module for sure
# make
# make install clean
Assuming success...
# cd /usr/ports/www/apache<your chosen version>
# make config
 You know the drill; choose your favorite options
# make
# make install clean

Now, I might also mention, there's also
/usr/ports/lang/php55-extensions. This is a bit of a
meta-package that will allow you to pick all your favorite
must-have php extensions up front. But it's usually better to
simply go to each extension' folder/directory, and make(1), and
configure them individually. I only mention this, as you indicated
you were looking to install mediawiki, which, I believe needs (at least)
XML.

Best wishes, and hope this helps. :)

--Chris