Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:50:03 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jrb@cs.pdx.edu
Subject:   Re: [driver testing] Odd network behaviour?

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> Kurt Mahon, who wrote the driver for the 82586 for USL, claimed that
> the USL driver copied the data twice; apparently, the interrupt was
> issued when data was available, rather than when it had made it into
> card memory?

This is a most extremely bizarre claim.  AFAIK, the '586 doesn't issue
an interrupt until the DMA into the host memory has completed, which has to
happen as the frame arrives as (again from memory) it doesn't have a very
big internal FIFO.

*grumble*

>  The second copy worked because the first copy provided
> sufficient delay, scaled to the size of the transfer.  I never had a
> chance to verify Kurt's claims, since I was happily running 368BSD on
> the 6386/25's and didn't want to screw with success.

Hmm.  Personally I'd love to just use the 'ie' driver, but there's
so much funny cruft associated with the radio modem as well that it'd make
a terrible mess of the driver.