Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2013 07:20:01 GMT
From:      Arrigo Marchiori <ardovm@yahoo.it>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/180604: devel/xdg-utils: xdg-screensaver depends on dcop

The following reply was made to PR ports/180604; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Arrigo Marchiori <ardovm@yahoo.it>
To: Raphael Kubo da Costa <rakuco@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:12:18 +0200

 Hello Raphael,

 On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:28:03AM -0300, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:

 > (Please keep me CC'ed in your reply because GNATS sucks and I won't be
 > notified otherwise)
 >
 > I'm surprised xdg-screensaver ended up choosing dcop in your case -- the
 > script checks if KDE_FULL_SESSION and KDE_SESSION_VERSION are set and,
 > in this case, chooses another program instead.
 >
 > Since you mention you're running KDE 4.10.5 yourself, those variables
 > should be set.
 >
 > Can you show me what their values are before calling xdg-screensaver
 > yourself?

 It seems that the problem is due to the fact I am using bash as shell!

 Using bash:

 $ xdg-screensaver status
 /usr/local/bin/xdg-screensaver: dcop: not found
 ERROR:  kdesktop KScreensaverIface isEnabled returned ''
 $ echo $KDE_FULL_SESSION
 true
 $ echo $KDE_SESSION_VERSION
 4
 $ echo $SHELL
 /usr/local/bin/bash

 Then I switch to csh and it seems to work:

 $ csh
 % xdg-screensaver
 xdg-screensaver - command line tool for controlling the screensaver

 Synopsis

 xdg-screensaver suspend WindowID
 [etc ...]

 The funniest thing is that, now that I ran csh _once_, xdg-screensaver
 also started working with bash. And it did not in the first place, as
 you can see from above. I logged out and in from KDE, and it is still
 working with bash.

 I am quite confused... I cannot reboot my PC now, but do you think
 it's worth trying?

 Maybe something was mis-configured from the past, and running
 xdg-screensaver from csh fixed it?

 Thank you for taking care of this!
 --
 rigo