Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 22:56:59 -0500
From:      Vamsi Nath <quasar@vamsi.net>
To:        Charles Johnson <kinpun@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows 95!

You might want to check with your ISP before you do this as running a
web-server over a ppp connection usually constitutes a violation of most
TOS agreements. In regards to your question, I definitely would recommend
against hosting your sites on a Windows machine. I don't even know if this
is possible with Windows 95 or 98. Since you

If you're really interested in doing this, do yourself a favor and host
your sites on a FreeBSD box. Since you posted this question to a FreeBSD
mailing-list, I'll assume that you've already considered this. Your current
system should be capable of hosting several medium traffic sites. After you
get your FreeBSD box setup, install Apache and you'll be in business. The
best part is the software is free and runs a heck of a lot better then
anything Microsoft ever put out. You can even host multiple sites with
Apache using its 'VirtualHosts' feature.

I'm currently hosting several personal sites on a FreeBSD box connected via
a 56K modem and the speed isn't too shabby. Of course, if you are planning
to host commercial sites you are going to need a lot more bandwith. Bottom
line..FreeBSD will do the job for you, but get more bandwith :)

Good Luck,
Vamsi Nath
quasar@vamsi.net