Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:02:36 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: getting procmail to work

On 2002-04-18 22:54, BSD Freak wrote:
> I have recently been trying to get procmail to work on our FreeBSD
> 4.5 mail server (sendmail). I have built the procmail port but it
> seems to ignore .procmailrc files in user home directories. Is there
> anything other than installing the port that needs to be done?

Mail is delivered by Sendmail (or your MTA) to the mailboxes of users.
You need to tell your MTA that mail should be ``delivered'' to procmail
and let procmail save it in a mailbox, or anywhere it wants.

For Sendmail this is as easy as creating a .forward file in your HOME,
and putting in there the following:

	"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75"

BTW, this is copied verbatim from the procmail(1) manpage.  For other
MTAs you will have to consult their documentation to find a way for the
mail server to pipe all the incoming messages through procmail.

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/