Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:02:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joe <josepha48@yahoo.com>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd running on a cdrom

Unfortunately freeSBIE seems to require buildworld.  I'm not
sure if they have a downloadable version.

I don't want X installed, I want dns, ssh and cron as the only
daemons.  ipfw and natd for the firewall / nat. I also don't
want to have to do any configuration after it starts up or use
the floppy.

I have limited space on the system and buildworld is not an
option.  i.e. not enough space for a live system, a build and
then a copy of the live filesystem.  There is only enough space
for a basic install of the live system + ports + kern source and
a copy of the live system - ports and - kern source.

I got it working last night, including serial console access.  I
need to do a tweak to ssh (get it working) and then I'm done.
The cd image is 315Meg at present, which at some point I am
going to trim down.

Someone mentioned ports/sysutil/cdroot.

Thanks, I looked at the dofloppyimg() function (I think that was
the name) and didn't have to do build the f***** world.

Basically the article on bsdtoday is what I followed, and then
made my own floppy. based on cdroot project.

No build the world required.

Last night I booted it and it does nat and is a dns server.

Not even sure if I want to enable ssh at this point, cause the
only one who would need it would be me but since serial console
works fine, why bother.

I'll probably script parts of it, so that people who don't want
to do buildworld can just compile a custom kernel and run the
script using a copy of the existing system installation.

Thanks,
Joe