Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:26:07 -0500
From:      "Justin P. Michel" <justinmichel@home.com>
To:        "AJ Adams" <aja2@ra.msstate.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: alpha vs i386

AJ,

You have got the right one.  i386 is for CPU's based on the 32-bit
architecture (i386 is back from the Intel 80386 CPU days which is the first
32 bit processor that Linux/BSD worked on) from the Intel/AMD/Cyrix 80386 up
to the new Intel P4 and AMD XP.

Alpha is a separate CPU line, that I honestly don't know too much about. :)

As for a modem, anything that is not a win-modem class modem should work
nicely.

I also have an AMD based system running FBSD 4.4 - RELEASE, and it's working
great.

Regards,

Justin P. Michel
J Continuum